How a Safety Needle Protects Healthcare Workers
A safety needle is an injection device designed with special functions which allow the needle to automatically retract back into the barrel, or to be capped after injecting a patient. The importance of using safety needles is that it prevents healthcare workers from accidentally being stuck with a needle, thereby reducing the transmission of diseases such as HIV or hepatitis. The CDC estimates that 62 to 88 percent of needlestick accidents could be prevented by using safer devices. In developing countries, it stops the reuse of needles and spreading of infection from one patient to the next.
List of Specific Safety Injection Devices
Below is a list of specific safety injection devices from different companies. For more information about the devices, you can contact the companies directly. These devices are designed with special features to help protect healthcare workers from needlestick injuries and comply with the revised OSHA bloodborne pathogens standard. Not all companies who manufacture safety devices are listed below and the list is not exhaustive. It is intended as a guideline for healthcare workers and others in search of safer injection devices.
- Biojector® 2000 - Bioject Medical Technologies, Inc.
- Injex Needle-Free Injector - Injex - Equidyne Systems
Hypodermic Needles & Syringes (sliding sheath/sleeve, needle guards)
- DonorCare™ Needle Guard - ITL Corporation Pty. Ltd.
- Gettig™ Guard - Safety Needle System - Gettig Technologies
- Inviro Snap! Safety Syringe - Inviro Medical Devices, Inc.
- Monoject™ (Magellan) Safety Needle - The Kendall Company
- Needle-Pro® - Smiths Medical
- Protector Syringe and Safety Cap System - InjectiMed, Inc.
- SecureLoc™ Safety Introducer Needle - Specialized Health Products Intl., Inc.
- Sterimatic Self-Sheathing Syringe - Sterimatic Ltd
- SurGuard™ Safety Allergy Syringe - Terumo Medical Corp.
- SurGuard™ Safety Insulin Syringe - Terumo Medical Corp.
- SurGuard2™ Safety Syringe - Terumo Medical Corp.
- Univec Sliding Sheath - Univec, Inc.
Retractable Needles / Syringes
- AUTO-LOCK™ Safety Syringe - Safety Syringe Corporation of America, Inc.
- BakSnap™ Retracktable Safety Syringe - DuoProSS Meditech Corp
- Careo® Retractable Safety Syringe - Life-Shield Products, Inc.
- Futura Safety Syringe - Hypoguard USA, Inc.
- NMT Safety Syringe - New Medical Technology, Inc.
- OMI Retractable Syringe - OMI Research Pty Ltd
- SafePro Safety Syringe - SafePro USA, Inc.
- SafePro Plus Safety Syringe - SafePro USA, Inc.
- SafeSnap Safety Syringe - U.S. Medical Instruments
- Safety 1st® Safety Syringe - Safety 1st Medical Inc.
- Smartlock Safety Syringe - AMT Safety Products
- Amgen SureClick Single-Use Safety Prefilled Syringe - Amgen
- LuproLoc™ Safety Prefilled Syringe - Specialized Health Products Intl., Inc.
- SafetyGlide™ Needles for pediatric doses of Havrix® - GlaxoSmithKline
Safety Needle Companies
AMT Safety Products
Bioject Medical Technologies, Inc.
Futura Medical Corp.
Hypoguard USA, Inc.
Injex - Equidyne Systems
ITL (Innovating Technologies for Life) North America
International Medical Systems, Limited
ITL Corporation Pty. Ltd.
Innovative Laboratory Acrylics, Inc.
International Medication Systems (IMS) Ltd.
International Technidyne Corp. (ITC)
Inviro Medical Devices, Inc.
Iris Sample Processing
Life-Shield Products, Inc.
The Kendall Company
New Medical Technology, Inc.
OMI Research Pty Ltd
Owen Mumford, Inc.
SafePro USA, Inc.
Safety 1st Medical Inc.
Safety Syringe Corporation of America, Inc.
Specialized Health Products Intl., Inc.
Terumo Medical Corp.
Looking for interesting articles to read?